These are the Roswell Hike it & Spike it 4on4 Flag Football Rules as adapted from Roswell Rules, make sure and check with your local league or tournament director for your official rules as many organizations modify them to suit their liking!
Game Rules Start of the Game
1. A coin flip will give the winner the option to start with possession OR select defense and direction. Possession and direction will be opposite to start the second half.
2. Game Time is Forfeit Time – NO GRACE PERIOD.
3. Offense begins on its own ten (10) yard line.
4. Must have two (2) players to start a game.
5. Participants must be registered before being allowed to play and must have a player wristband on.
1. Reaching or crossing the midfield line in 3 plays or less.
2. A major penalty on the defensive team.
Timing of the Game/Time Outs
1. Winner’s and Loser’s bracket games will consist of two 12-minute halves (running clock). The clock will stop for time outs, injuries, and a 3 minute halftime.
2. Down and Out Bowl games will consist of a 15-minute running clock.
3. Regular Divisions teams will be allowed one (1) timeout per game. “Show Me The Money” and 30 and over teams will be allowed 2 timeouts per game.
NOTE: If a timeout is used after a touchdown the clock will not resume until the ball is snapped for the beginning of the next possesion.
4. Teams will be allowed 10 seconds to run a play after the official signals that the ball is ready for play.
5. Mercy Rule – when a team leads by 25 or more points they will be declared the winner.
1. The winner of the coin flip can choose possession or defense and direction.
2. Teams will have a choice of a one (1) or a two (2)-point conversion (one play only).
3. Alternate possession until a winner is decided.
1. A Touchdown is worth 6 points.
2. A Safety is worth 2 points (plus possession).
3. A conversion from the five (5) yard line is worth 1 point and a conversion from the ten (10) yard line is worth 2 points (the defense cannot score on conversions).
1. Blocking will not be permitted at any time. This is a non-contact game.
2. Bump and Run defense is not allowed.
1. A legal tackle takes place by a defender removing the ball carrier’s flag(s) without physically grasping him/her. If a flag is missing from the ball carrier, then he/she will be called down when touched by defender.
2. Flag guarding is the act of the ball carrier using his/her hand(s) or arm(s) to prevent the potential “tackler” from pulling his/her flag. The ball carrier will be marked down at the point of the infraction.
3. The Breakaway Rule – if in the official’s judgment the ball carrier is physically pushed or tackled by a defender to prevent an obvious score, the result will be a score for the offense and an unsportsmanlike penalty on the offender. It may also warrant the offender’s ejection from the game and/or tournament. Change of Possession/Fumbles
1. All drives and change of possession start at the ten (10) yard line. The only exception is when an interception takes place, the ball will be spotted for play at the point in which the “interceptor” is tackled.
2. All fumbles are considered dead balls at the point in which the ball hits the ground. If the ball is fumbled forward it will be marked at the point that the ball carrier lost control. Possession is maintained by the offensive team unless possession has been turned over by downs.
3. If the ball hits the ground during the Center/QB exchange the ball will be marked down at the spot the ball hit the ground.
1. Offside, illegal procedure, too many men, delay of game, diving, etc. are all five (5) yard penalties. With two (2) minutes or less remaining in the half/game, a delay of game penalty will result in a loss of down in addition to the five (5) yards.
2. Pass interference, unsportsmanlike conduct (taunting), and blocking are ten (10) yard penalties. An automatic first down will be given if on the defensive team and loss of down if on the offensive team.
3. Excessive roughness, excessive taunting, fighting, and verbal abuse are considered flagrant penalties and may result in your dismissal from the game and/or tournament. Any player ejected from the event will be asked to immediately leave the site. If the player(s) do not cooperate fully, their team(s) may be ejected. Ejection from the event will mean an automatic suspension from future events. No refunds will be given.
1. An intermediate size football will be used.
2. Each team must have at least 2 female players on the field at all times.
3. Teams are allowed to have an 8 person roster.
**All players are eligible receivers.**
Miscellaneous Game Regulations
1. No running plays allowed.
2. No diving by the ball carrier is allowed. 5 yard penalty from spot dive was initiated.
3. The quarterback will not be allowed to run past the line of scrimmage (play will be blown dead).
4. The defender(s) rushing the quarterback must be at least five (5) yards off the line of scrimmage.
5. The center must snap the ball between the legs. Exception: 10 and under teams will be allowed to snap from the side.
6. All players are eligible receivers.
7. Clothing must be tucked underneath your flags.
8. One foot in bounds and possession of the ball constitutes a catch.
9. The offensive team will be responsible for returning the ball to the line of scrimmage after every play (in a timely fashion).
10. Only one player may go in motion but NOT toward the line of scrimmage (no shifts).
11. Substitutions will be allowed between plays. Players must make substitutions from one side of the field, which will be designated by the official.
12. Teams are responsible for their fans.
13. HIV/AIDS – No visible cuts or blood on clothing or persons. Prepare accordingly.
14. No alcohol allowed on site. Any person/team suspected to be under the influence and attempting to play will be automatically ejected.
15. The captain is the spokesperson for their team, not a spectator or coach.
16. Cleats are allowed but cannot be metal.
17. No stripping of the football is allowed. You must go for the flags. Penalty is five (5) yards from the point of infraction and automatic first down.
18. No spinning allowed. The play will be blown dead and ball marked at the point that the player initiated the spin (Only the Quarterback is allowed to spin to avoid the rush or change direction).
19. All forward passes must be completed beyond the line of scrimmage.
20. Hitting the Quarterback’s arm in the throwing motion is a ten (10) yard penalty and automatic first down.
Team Placement (Bracketing)/Scheduling Information
1. Teams will be placed into pre-established age categories as follows: Youth: 10 & under/11-12/13-14/15-16 /17-18 based on the age of the oldest player Adult: 19-24/25-29/30-34/35-39/40 & over based on the age of the youngest player Co-ed: 18 & under/19 & over
2. Experience will also be a determining factor in your team’s placement.
3. Team captains will be emailed scheduling information. If the captain does not receive notification by Wednesday, the week of the event, he/she is responsible for contacting the local event director. The phone number is listed in this brochure under “Event Information”.
4. Youth and Adult division teams are guaranteed a minimum of 3 scheduled games. Show Me The Money division teams are guaranteed a minimum of 2 scheduled games.
5. During the tournament the official point of reference for game times is the bracket wall (not an official or referee). Team captains are ultimately responsible for obtaining the correct time.
*** There maybe certain circumstances when it is necessary to combine age categories. In such cases, team captains will be notified prior to the event.
1. All regular divisions are allowed 7 players on their roster. Show Me The Money, Co – ed, and 30 and over divisions are allowed 8 players.
2. Players are allowed to participate on multiple teams (Must be on entry form roster or legal substitute). Players may NOT sign-up within the same age/experience category. In the event of a conflict in scheduling the player(s) will be responsible for choosing which team they play with. Show Me the Money players cannot play in a regular division.
3. Once your roster is sent in there will be no refunds and substitutions, which includes filling open spots. Subs can only be made by following the procedure listed below.
4. Substitution(s) will be allowed before your first scheduled game. The following guidelines must be followed for a substitution to take place:
- The substitute(s) must fit the criteria of the division (experience & age).
- The substitute(s) must have valid identification.
- Team captain must be present.
- Each substitute will cost thirty-five dollars ($35) payable with a money order or cash only, NO CHECKS.
ON SITE PLAYER CHECK-IN PROCEDURE
1. Must have valid identification (birth certificate or drivers license) for the duration of the event.
2. Sign a waiver. If you’re under the age of 18, a parent/guardian must sign it for you.
3. Find the table with your field letter/number on it.
4. Tell the volunteer your field assignment and team name.
5. Present your identification and signed waiver.
6. Upon verification, you will receive a wristband and official player t-shirt.
7. Have fun!!
*** Any attempt(s) to falsify player information could result in the player(s) and possibly the team being disqualified from the event. No refunds.
Check out our other flag football rules for other formats Flag Football Rules!